The examiner will ask you one ‘tell me‘ question at the start of the driving test before you start driving, where you’d have to explain how you’d carry out a safety task.
You’ll also be asked one ‘show me’ question where you’d actually have to show them how you’d carry out a safety task while you’re driving. The show me question could be asked at any time during your driving test including the independent driving part. If you’re unsure how to do it when driving on the test then the examiner will ask you to pull up on the left when it’s safe and convenient and ask you you to find the control.
It’s a good idea to get familiar with where the controls are and how to use them before you try it whilst driving.
You won’t fail your driving test if you get any of the questions wrong but you would get one driving fault if you incorrectly answer one or both questions. You can get a serious or dangerous fault if you lose control of the car when answering the ‘show me’ question.
- Can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
- Can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
- Can you show me how you would switch on your dipped headlights?
- Can you show me how you would set the rear de-mister?
- Can you show me how you would operate the horn?
- Can you show me how you would de-mist the front windscreen?
- Can you show me how you would open and close the side window?
Check out the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Youtube channel for more learning materials.